A rear mounted child bike seat is a seat that goes on the back of a bike where a small person can sit and ride along with an adult without having to pedal.
If you’re considering a rear mounted seat for your bike, there are a couple of fundamental features you should look for that indicate that the seat is both the right quality and the right seat overall for your tiny passenger.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Rear Mounted Child Bike Seat
- 2 Topeak Babyseat II with Disc Mount Rack
- 3 Thule Yepp Maxi Easyfit, Black
- 4 CyclingDeal Bicycle Kids Child Rear Baby Seat Bike Carrier USA Standard with Adjustable Seat Rest Height
- 5 Bellelli Pepe Seatpost Mounted Baby Carrier, Blue/Red
- 6 Best Choice Products Ride on Car RC Classic Car Remote Control Electric Battery Power - Red
Best Rear Mounted Child Bike Seat
There are more than enough options to go around in the rear mounted seat world, so we’re here today to see if we may be able to call a few of the best choices out. Remember, always research on your own, too; new options come out every day, and you might find something that is more appropriate for your needs.
Topeak makes great quality seats at a fairly affordable price. This particular Topeak Baby Seat II is no exception. The reasonable price point includes the rack.
If your child rides on two different bikes, it’s easiest just to buy another rack and attach it to the other bike, especially since this seat has special connectors that are specifically made for this rack.
From the design, it’s clear that Topeak took kids into consideration when they creating this seat.
- The shoulder harness is adjustable.
- The hand rest is padded.
- The seat is something they call “cocoon,” which wraps around a child securely so that a child is well protected from any accidents.
- The foot straps are comfortable, but make sure feet stay put.
In addition, it comes with some great bells and whistles, including extra room for a helmet, a suspension system, a removable seat pad for easy mess cleanup, and different racks that are compatible with different types of braking systems on bikes.
If that’s not enough, there’s one extra cherry on top: the easy remove system. While it’s probably not quite as easy as it looks, the company claims it’s as easy as 1-2-3: press the button, pull out the slide lock, and lift the seat up. Done! This seat is an excellent value and definitely worth trying out.
Topeak Babyseat II with Disc Mount Rack
2 used from $121.51
- Rear rack included; Made of T6 aluminum
- Capacity 48. 5 lbs.
- Rear Rack features MTX track that is compatible with all Topeak trunk bags
- Optional pad available in pink, green, and blue
- Optional 29er rack available
You can checkout our full review of the Topeak Baby Seat II Disc Rack and Non Disc Rack Baby Seat
With a price point a little higher than the Topeak, the Thule Yepp Maxi has a bit of extra style and a few more color choices.
In addition, the bike rack is not included with this seat, meaning that you’ll need to shell out a few more dollars for one that is compatible with the Thule line.
Thule also sells an adapter that can be used with most rack systems in case you already have one.
This seat is perfect for the longer, sturdier cargo bikes that are meant for hauling groceries and other merchandise from place to place.
Many cargo bikes have a specific slot for racks for seats, and the Yepp fits perfectly on most of these bikes. With a rating of 50 pounds, most children under the age of six could sit comfortably in this seat while their parents drive them around town to get errands done.
Some individuals report that this bike seat is very comfortable and the water-repellent material is a lifesaver in the case of spillage.
In addition, for adults that have tumbled while biking with this seat attached (it happens!), the same water-repellent material did a great job of absorbing the impact and protecting children from injury because of its spongy, soft quality.
Thule Yepp Maxi Easyfit, Black
5 used from $156.71
- Quick and easy mounting of the child bike seat on your bike. Fits rear bike racks with an EasyFit window or racks equipped with Thule Yepp Maxi EasyFit Adapter (sold separately)
- Added visibility thanks to built-in reflector and safety light attachment point
- Ensures a perfect fit as your child grows thanks to adjustable foot rests and foot strap
- Maximum child comfort and a safe, custom fit thanks to the adjustable padded 5-point harness
- Easy to clean and to keep dry due to the seat's water-repellent materials
CyclingDeal is not a huge, dependable brand like Thule, however, that’s reflected in the price: you aren’t paying for the name, so this seat is half the price of the Thule.
However, the features and overall structure of the seat are also different. While it doesn’t include a rack, most racks are compatible.
One of the best feature of this seat is the ease of installation. Installation can take less than fifteen minutes, and taking it on and off is a cinch. This is especially useful for seats that ride on multiple bikes, or must be moved when a child is not riding.
The CyclingDeal is also not a heavy seat, which is a huge bonus; hauling fifty pounds behind a bike when you’re not used to it is already difficult enough.
The harness system on this seat is unique. There are no buckles or snaps. Instead, you have to slide your child into the harness, which is great for kids that have a habit of loosening buckles or trying to get out of seats while you’re moving.
CyclingDeal Bicycle Kids Child Rear Baby Seat Bike Carrier USA Standard with Adjustable Seat Rest Height
$99.00 in stock
5 used from $60.98
- Universal quick release bracket allows seat to mount/dismount from bike in seconds and is compatible with most bike frames (27.2-40mm diameter round frames, NOT for dual suspension bikes,NOT for beach cruisers,NOT for Front derailleur pull from the Top, May not for small size 29" bike fame, the rack possibly touch the tire)
- Shoulder harness with multiple height adjustments for superior comfort & protection ,Adjustable footrest & foot straps keep small feet in a safe position
- Adjustable height of seat backrest ensures the comfort of children's sitting
- Wrap around cocoon seat design for maximum protection,Recessed area provides extra room for helmet and keeps child from slumping forward
- Meet USA Safety Standard: With 25kg load on the rack, swinging test 30,000 times, and the rack will not be broken. Designed and tested for children from 9 months to 4 years old, up to 40 lbs/18 kg. Package: Baby seat, bike rack and All accessories
Unlike the models above the Bellelli Pepe seat mounts to the seat tube on a bike instead of having a dedicated rack. Other than not being entirely universal, this method of mounting is just as safe as a rack.
Though the seat isn’t as easily transferable from bike to bike, and can be difficult to remove quickly, the Bellelli Baby Bike seat has a quick release bracket so the seat is easy to remove, and also sells extra seat post mounts for additional bikes.
The Bellelli Pepe is made in Italy and is designed with excellent safety features and comfort. This is also a cocooning seat and is lightweight, washable, and grime-resistant.
It comes with a 3-point safety harness and is difficult for a child to unbuckle, which is important for more independent and freedom-seeking children.
Perhaps the most unique and notable feature of the Bellelli Pepe is that it can be back-mounted OR front-mounted.
In addition, while the seat is designed to attach to a post, there is also an easy way to mount it to a rack. This is great if your bike already has a rack, but you still want this seat. The only thing to keep in mind is that sometimes this seat does not fasten correctly to smaller bikes, and because of the bulk, it can be difficult to drive with if you decide to mount it in the front.
Bellelli Pepe Seatpost Mounted Baby Carrier, Blue/Red
4 used from $53.37
- Rear Mounting
- Universal Quick Mounting on Seattube
- For Children 7 and Under
- Max Weight 50 lbs.
- 3 Point Safety Belt
The Hamax seat is another seat that originated in Europe like the Bellelli, and is now available in the US with the safety features required by law. The Hamax Caress has great overall reviews, and despite the extra expense, is a good investment when you’re looking for a quality seat with a few extra features.
Out of all of the seats we’ve reviewed today, this is the only one that reclines for children that are asleep or may fall asleep.
The Caress can be mounted to the post of a bike or a rack, similar to the Bellelli, and the seat reclines up to 20 degrees, making it incredibly comfortable for an afternoon snooze.
There is also a spot for a helmet to rest, and anti-theft locks ensure the seat stays where you put it (unless you decide to move it yourself).
With a 40-pound weight limit, this seat can’t hold children as large as the other seats, but some individuals state that tall, lean children seem to fit fine.
The shape and design of this seat is a great advantage because it is simplistic and effective.
The biggest con of this seat is that the shock absorbing suspension is not as good as it could be, and children do bounce when bumps and imperfections are encountered. Overall, a great quality seat for most children.
Best Choice Products Ride on Car RC Classic Car Remote Control Electric Battery Power - Red
$116.99 in stock
- Equipped with real engine sounds, functioning headlights, a horn, song selection buttons, remote control on/off switch, and manual on/off switch
- Steering wheel buttons provide children with easy access to 6 musical tunes that are programmed into the car
- Classic style ride-on allows both kids and parents to steer the car with the flip of a switch on the dash or by the included remote control
- ASTM-certified toy car is recommended for children ages 2 and up and includes a rechargeable 6V battery and MP3 AUX cord
- Overall Dimensions: 34"(L) x 19"(W) x 16.5"(H); Weight Capacity: 66 lbs.
You have many, many options for rear-mounted child bike seats, especially since the US has started importing them from Europe.
Off-brands, on-brands, expensive and affordable…there is a seat for everyone, and you shouldn’t be shy about trying several out until you’re happy with your purchase. As long as they are safety-certified, they are worth a shot!