Tricycles are one of those toys everyone seems to have had while growing up. A tricycle is fun and has tons of benefits, such as aiding a child’s physical and mental development. Children who ride tricycles also learn to improve their coordination and remain active simultaneously.
Additionally, tricycles are the first step toward learning how to ride a bicycle. Motorized toy cars are also a suitable option for children looking to play outside.
There are many factors for parents to consider when buying a tricycle for their child: What is the best tricycle? Are tricycles affordable? What features should I look for when purchasing the best tricycle for my child?
Over the years, tricycle manufacturers have discovered ways to improve the design of the tricycle. Nowadays, tricycles are improved and built with accessories such as lights, racing flags, and decals designed to make them look cool and improve their performance.
Table of Contents
- 1 Review Of The Best Toddler Tricycles
- 2 Best Tricycle for Toddlers – Buyers guide
- 3 Concluding Remarks
Review Of The Best Toddler Tricycles
Look no further we have reviewed the best tricycles for toddlers in 2022 and put them in one place to help you make the right choice.
Here are our top picks.
|Image||Tricycle Name||Material||Recommended Age||Price|
|Joovy Tricycoo Tricycle||Steel||18 months - 4 years||Check Price|
|Radio Flyer Classic Tricycle with Push Handle||Metal||24 months - 4 years||Check Price|
|4-in-1 Stroll 'N Trike||Plastic||9 months - 5 years||Check Price|
1. Joovy Tricycoo Tricycle
Joovy Tricycoo Tricycle is one of the best push tricycles for children as young as 18 months. Now you might think, “Is it safe for an 18-month-old baby to get on a tricycle?’ Well, with this particular tricycle, it is! It provides a fold-down footrest that offers stability and support and a removable baby. It surrounds arms that enclose the young child and prevent them from getting out of the trike.
The pedal lock, parent push handles, footrest, and surround arms are essential when the baby is learning to ride; once the child is comfortable using the tricycle, you can remove them. The tricycle comes in various colors so that it can be used by boys and girls alike. It’s made from high-quality materials, which means this tricycle can last 3+ years. The sturdy steel allows it to handle up to 44 pounds which means it can be used even by a four-year-old child, and it’s adaptable for children of this age.
What You’ll Love About This Tricycle:
- Your child learns to balance and coordinate.
- It doubles up as a stroller for walks or grocery trips
- The wheels are urethane molded with urethane treads and therefore roll quietly on most floors.
- It has a removable parent push handle that, when engaged, overrides the steering of the Tricycoo. The handle’s height is adjustable from 32.5″ to 38.”
- The pedal lock can be unlocked or locked to allow your child to freewheel or pedal themselves.
- It has a bell(which is not too loud) on the handlebar and a large rear basket for carrying drinks, toys, and ‘treasures’ your baby collects on the way.
- It has a special folding system that makes it easy to store and carry around.
2. High Bounce Extra Tall Tricycle
The high bounce extra tall tricycle is another gender-neutral toy for toddlers. It’s designed for children aged 3-6 years. It has an adjustable seat that slides further back as the child grows to provide more legroom, allowing them to adapt to the tricycle as they grow.
This tricycle is also considered extra tall because it is 2 and ½ times bigger than regular tricycles. Why is bigger better? Larger tricycles are more straightforward to steer than smaller ones, and high handlebars are more comfortable.
Its size makes it an excellent choice for tall toddlers who have trouble fitting into regular-sized tricycles. This trike model can be used both indoors and outdoors.
What You Get With This Tricycle:
- Its tires are EVA. EVA tires are quality, are used by the best tricycles, and always have your back. They are not only durable but also super smooth and easy on bumps. They have a wide wheelbase that enhances stability (which means fewer falls). The wheels and pedals are also slip-resistant. Plastic wheels also mean you don’t have to keep watching the air level.
- It is super sturdy because of its high-quality make. They make it from durable polycarbonate.
- The seat is rounded down on the sides, making it extremely comfortable
- It has a triangle-shaped metal frame for extra stability and comfort
- Easy assembly, mainly because the directions are easy to understand and follow
- Spare parts for it are readily available
3. Radio Flyer Classic Tricycle with Push Handle
There is something special about this tricycle for it to have won Dr. Toy’s Classic Award. If one wants to go old school, this might be the best toddler tricycle for you! It has a weight limit of 42.55 lbs and is a great tricycle for 2 years old, 3 years old, and 4-year-olds toddlers.
Like the toddler tricycles mentioned above, you can adjust the seat as the child grows. It comes with pretty unique and stylish chrome handlebars and fenders. You can adjust the tricycle’s removable push handle to three positions to suit the parent’s height. The wheels are steel poked with hard real rubber tires in the same manner as old-school tricycles guaranteeing the smoothest rides for the rider.
The trike is available in two colors, red and pink. Classic all the way.
What You’ll Love About This Tricycle:
- Its Controlled turning radius enhances stability and smoothness by ensuring no tipping. Stability is double assured by the low center of gravity.
- Assembly is super easy and can be completed in less than 5 minutes.
- The zero plastic on it makes it sturdy and provides service for years. You can even hand it down from one sibling to another.
- The premium pedals are designed to ensure optimal traction.
4. Fisher-Price Rock, Roll n Ride Trike
This handy push toddler tricycle comes in yellow, blue, and red. It is designed for kids between 18 months to 5 years. This is yet another tricycle with “grow-with-me” features. It has three””grow-with-m”” stages.
Fisher-Price is one of the most renowned children’s toy brands, and this one is no different.
At stage one, it can be used as a rocker for little ones; the pedals don’t turn. At stage two, the rocker base converts to ‘roll,’ where an extra-long parent push handle is used to help toddlers learn how to pedal. You switch to stage two by quickly pulling the peg and flipping the rocker. The third stage (ride stage) involves independent pedaling by the child.
The ride stage allows children to learn how to ride independently while increasing physical and mental development. The third stage is activated by removing the handle, adjusting the seat, and folding the footrest. Converting from one stage to another requires no tools. The seat is also adjustable to accommodate growth. The multiple uses of this toy make it one of the best tricycles you can buy for your child.
What You’ll Love About This Tricycle:
- It can use be used both outdoors and indoors. No worries, floors, and rugs don’t suffer in the process.
- The parent handle works great in redirecting the trike and slowing it. Kids feel safer when their parents have something to grab onto in case of anything.
- Putting it together takes about 10-15 minutes.
- The Super sturdy and thick plastic frame ensures durability.
5. 4-in-1 Stroll”N Trike
Radio Flyer has done it again. From the quality of their products, it’s not hard to tell they put in a lot of time and effort. Unlike other toddlers” push tricycles, this model transforms into four baby vehicles- an infant trike, a steering trike, a learn-to-ride trike, and the classic trike. The trike perfectly fits any child between 9 months and five years and has a weight capacity of 49 pounds.
Additionally, you can easily adjust the seat as the child grows. It also features a headrest, safety straps, and a 3-point harness for bumpier rides.
What You’ll Love About This Tricycle:
- It has a removable canopy to protect the child from UV rays outdoors.
- It has parent handles to help push the tricycle before the child can learn how to cycle. And yes, the adult handle does override the child’s steering. This is extremely parent-friendly.
- There is a covered bin for extra storage for both parent and child to carry keys, phones, and toys. It comes with a wrapped tray that serves as a drink and snack holder and helps the toddler feel more secure. Do note that the storage container has a divider in the middle.
- It is a quiet ride.
- The solid steel frame enhances durability.
6. Pink Schwinn Roadster 12-Inch Trike
This pink and black tricycle looks like it was designed for girls, but it’s high quality and can be used by boys. ‘Classy’ is the word that best describes the color and the real wood deck with the burned-in S logo sign.
The wooden deck is thin but sturdy. The Schwinn Roadster 12-inch was designed for children between two and four years. The tricycle has soft grip chrome handlebars, long tassels, and a ringing bell.
What You’ll Love About This Tricycle:
- This tricycle has such a quality, heavy-duty build, especially with its full steel frame, which should last a couple of years.
- Shock-absorbing tires; are beneficial in providing a fun, smooth ride.
- It is also one of the few models with mudguards for each wheel. No mud is going to stop your child from enjoying some outdoor fun.
- The sculpted seat is easily adjustable with a knob and screw under the seat. An adjustable seat allows the tricycle to grow with the toddler and offers maximum support and comfort.
- Assembly is super easy, just four steps. The primary tool needed is an adjustable wrench.
- Many parents love the idea of having many different colors to choose from.
- Stability is assured because of a low center of gravity, making climbing on and off easy and safe.
Best Tricycle for Toddlers – Buyers guide
Nowadays, kids tend to stay indoors as opposed to playing outside. Providing your child with the best tricycle possible is an excellent way to encourage them to play outside.
Riding a tricycle aids the physical and mental growth of the kid. They will develop gross motor skills and coordination of limbs. Using a tricycle doesn’t require much space, so a lack of a yard or a park should not hinder you from buying the best tricycle for kids.
What To Look For Before Buying A Top Rated Tricycle For Toddlers
Here are a few factors you should consider before purchasing your next tricycle.
Is Your Child Ready To Ride A Tricycle?
To begin with, you should determine if the child understands how to pedal and steer; remember, each child is different, so some might get it instantly, and some take time. Does your child have what it takes to use a tricycle?
- Ability: Children need strength to pedal and make the cycle move. Coordinating the handle while pedaling will require some basic skills from the child. Some trike models allow a parent to help the cycle.
- Height: The child’s height plays a significant role in deciding whether they are ready to begin cycling. The child should be able to reach the pedals comfortably while sitting on the cycle. Children who are just learning how to cycle usually want to put their feet on the ground when they want to stop, so they should be able to do so conveniently.
- Balance: Even the best tricycles require the child’s ability to balance before they can ride them. A child’s mental and physical development determines their ability to balance the tricycle. Only when they can balance can they pedal.
- Coordination: Toddlers are just discovering how the ability to walk and run. Their gross motor skills are still developing, and they are still learning to coordinate their arms and legs. Till they develop these skills, they will not be able to cycle.
- Safety: Young children do not understand the concept of safety. It’s the parent’s responsibility to make kids wear safety gear and decide when they are ready to cycle. Opt for a bike that has a low center of gravity.
- Patience: To learn a new skill requires patience and focus; young children have a limited attention span, which may interfere with learning how to cycle. At this stage, kids get very frustrated when they can’t pick up a new skill, worsening the situation and delaying their learning process.
What Material Is Best For A Tricycle?
Tricycles are usually made of steel, wood, or plastic. Each of these materials has its advantages and disadvantages.
- Plastic: These tricycles are more economical and lighter than the other two. However, the color tends to fade when they are overexposed to the sun. A plastic tricycle can be recycled and replaced easily if broken.
- Steel: Steel tricycles are usually durable and sturdy and can last the tricycle riding duration of your toddler. On the flip side, they tend to rust when left out in the open for long periods. Additionally, they are more expensive than the other two types of tricycles.
- Wood: Wooden trikes are the best used indoors on smooth surfaces. They do not have a chain and are easy to maneuver and safe for beginners.
The Child’s Age
There is a wide variety of the kind of tricycles available in the market. Look for those that you can adjust to the child’s height and weight growth. Some tricycles are built for kids as young as 9-12 months old, while a majority of them are meant for 24 months and older. So make sure you are buying an age-appropriate tricycle for your kid.
Removable Push Handles
This is ideal for the beginner because, initially, you can steer and control the tricycle. At the same time, the child gets used to the whole concept of cycling. Once they are old enough and independent to cycle on their own, you can remove the handle.
Assembling a tricycle with your child can be a wonderful experience. Some tricycles come ready to use, while others need to be assembled. Still, if you want to skip this step, you should opt for an already assembled tricycle. Additionally, an assembled tricycle would save you time and effort.
Tricycles are available in various models and at varying prices. It would be wise to keep to a budget and stick to it; it’s a matter of time before you start searching for two-wheeler cycles for your child. Remember, your child will outgrow the tricycle sooner rather than later.
Tricycle Design, Color, And Accessories
Look for bikes that have your child’s favorite colors or characters. Any extra embellishments like streamers or a fancy bell will also make the child’s tricycle a favorite.
All the reviewed trikes are the best toddler tricycles currently. We recommend you choose a model that best suits your child’s needs and is within your budget.
It is never too much to reiterate that each child is different and unique in their own way; they all reach their milestones at different times, so do not push a toddler towards a tricycle just because you think they are ready. Once the toddler is ready for the new toy in their life, you’ll find out that your child and the tricycle will become inseparable.
The hours of pedaling around the house, in the park, or the yard will encourage the healthy development of the mind and the body and other benefits. Riding one of the best tricycles for toddlers will boost their self-esteem and confidence and prepare them for more significant challenges later in life.
You might also be interested in: