Tricycles are one of those toys everyone seems to have had while growing up. Not only is a tricycle fun, but it also has tons of benefits, such as aiding a child’s physical and mental development. Children who ride tricycles also learn how to improve their coordination and remain active at the same time.
Additionally, tricycles are the first step towards learning how to ride a bicycle. Motorized toy cars are also a suitable option for children looking to play outside.
There are many various factors for parents to consider when buying a tricycle for their child: What is the best tricycle? Are tricycles affordable? What features should I look out for when buying the best tricycle for my child.
Over the years, tricycle manufacturers have discovered ways to improve the design of the tricycle. Nowadays, tricycles are improved and built with accessories such as lights, racing flags, and decals designed to make them look cool and improve their performance.
Table of Contents
- 1 Review Of The Best Toddler Tricycles
- 2 Best Tricycle for Toddlers – Buyers guide
- 3 Concluding Remarks…
Review Of The Best Toddler Tricycles
Look no further we have reviewed the best tricycles for toddlers in 2021 and put them in one place to help you make the right choice.
Here are our top picks.
|Image||Tricycle Name||Material||Recommended Age||Price|
|Joovy Tricycoo Tricycle||Steel||18 months - 4 years||Check Price|
|Radio Flyer Classic Tricycle with Push Handle||Metal||24 months - 4 years||Check Price|
|4-in-1 Stroll 'N Trike||Plastic||9 months - 5 years||Check Price|
1. Joovy Tricycoo Tricycle
Joovy Tricycoo Tricycle is one of the best push tricycles for children as young as 18 months. Now you might be thinking, “Is it safe for an 18-month-old baby to get on a tricycle?’ Well, with this particular tricycle, it is! It provides a fold-down footrest that offers stability and support and a removable baby. It surrounds arms that enclose the young child and prevent them from getting out of the trike.
The sturdy steel allows it to handle up to 44 pounds which means it can be used even by a four-year-old child, and it’s adaptable for children of this age. The pedal lock, parent push handles, footrest and surround arms are essential when the baby is learning to ride; once the child is comfortable using the tricycle, they can be removed. The tricycle comes in various colours so that it can be used by boys and girls alike. It’s made from high-quality materials, which means this tricycle can last 3+ years.
What You’ll Love About This Tricycle:
- Your child learns to balance and coordinate.
- It doubles up as a stroller for walks or grocery trips
- The wheels are urethane moulded with urethane treads and therefore roll quietly on most floors.
- It has a removable parent push handle that, when engaged, overrides the steering of the Tricycoo. The handle’s height is adjustable from 32.5″ to 38.”
- The pedal lock can be unlocked or locked to allow your child to freewheel or pedal by themselves.
- It has a bell(which is not too loud) on the handlebar and a large rear basket for carrying drinks, toys and ‘treasures’ your baby collects on the way.
- It has a special folding system that makes it easy to store and carry around.
2. High Bounce Extra Tall Tricycle
The high bounce extra tall tricycle is another gender-neutral toy for toddlers. It’s designed for children aged 3-6 years. It has an adjustable seat that slides further back as the child grows to provide more legroom, allowing them to adapt to the tricycle as they grow.
This tricycle is also considered extra tall because it is 2 and ½ times bigger than regular tricycles. Why is bigger better? Larger tricycles are simpler and easier to steer than smaller ones, and high handlebars are more comfortable.
Its size makes it a great choice for tall toddlers who have trouble fitting into regular-sized tricycles. This trike model can be used both indoors and outdoors.
What You Get With This Tricycle:
- Its tires are EVA. EVA tires are quality, are used by the best tricycles and always have your back. They are not only durable but also super smooth and easy on bumps. They have a wide wheelbase that enhances stability (which means fewer falls). The wheels and pedals are also slip-resistant. Plastic wheels also mean you don’t have to keep watching the air level.
- It is super sturdy because of its high-quality make. They make it from durable polycarbonate.
- The seat is rounded down on the sides, making it extremely comfortable
- It has a triangle-shaped metal frame for extra stability and comfort
- Easy assembly, especially because the directions are easy to understand and follow
- Spare parts for it are easily available
3. Radio Flyer Classic Tricycle with Push Handle
There is something special about this tricycle for it to have won Dr.Toy’s Classic Award. If one wants to go old school, this might be the best toddler tricycle for you! It has a weight limit of 42.55 lbs and is an amazing tricycle for 2 years old, 3 years old and 4-year-olds toddlers.
Like the aforementioned toddler tricycles, the seat can be adjusted as the child grows. It comes with pretty unique and stylish chrome handlebars and fenders. The tricycle’s removable push handle can be adjusted to three positions depending on the parent’s height. The wheels are steel poked with hard real rubber tires in the same manner as old school tricycles guaranteeing the smoothest rides for the rider.
The trike is available in two colours, red and pink. Classic all the way.
What You’ll Love About This Tricycle:
- Its Controlled turning radius enhances stability and smoothness by ensuring there is no tipping. Stability is double assured by the low center of gravity.
- Assembly is super easy and can be completed in less than 5 minutes.
- The zero plastic on it makes it sturdy and provides service for years. It can even be handed down from one sibling to another.
- The premium pedals are designed to ensure optimal traction.
4. Fisher-Price Rock, Roll ‘n Ride Trike
This handy push toddler tricycle comes in yellow, blue and red. It is designed for kids between 18 months to 5 years. This is yet another tricycle with ‘grow-with-me features. It has three “grow-with-me” stages.
Fisher-Price is one of the most renowned children’s toys brands, and this one’s no different.
At stage one, it can be used as a rocker for little ones; the pedals don’t turn. At stage two, the rocker base converts to ‘roll,’ where an extra-long parent push handle is used to help toddlers learn how to pedal. You switch to stage two by easily pulling the peg and flipping the rocker. The third stage (ride stage) involves independent pedalling by the child.
The ride stage allows children to learn how to ride independently while increasing physical and mental development. The third stage is activated by simply removing the handle, adjusting the seat, and folding the footrest. Converting from one stage to another requires no tools. The seat is also adjustable to accommodate growth. The multiple uses of this toy make it one of the best tricycles you can buy for your child.
What You’ll Love About This Tricycle:
- It can use be used both outdoors and indoors. No worries, floors and rugs don’t suffer in the process.
- The parent handle works great in redirecting the trike or even just slowing it down. Kids do feel safer when their parents have something to grab on to in case of anything.
- Putting it together takes about 10-15 minutes.
- The Super sturdy and thick plastic frame ensures durability.
5. 4-in-1 Stroll ‘N Trike
Radio Flyer has done it again. From the quality of their products, it’s not hard to tell they put in a lot of time and effort. Unlike other toddlers’ push tricycles, this model transforms into four baby vehicles- an infant trike, a steering trike, a learn-to-ride trike and the classic trike. The trike fits any child between 9 months and five years perfectly and has a weight capacity of 49 pounds.
Additionally, the seat can be easily adjusted as the child grows. It also features a headrest with safety straps and a 3-point harness for bumpier rides.
What You’ll Love About This Tricycle:
- It has a removable canopy to protect the child from UV rays while outdoors.
- It has parent handles to help push the tricycle before the child can learn how to cycle. And yes, the adult handle does override the child’s steering. This is extremely parent-friendly.
- It comes with a wrapped tray that serves as a drink and snack holder and helps the toddler feel more secure. There is a covered bin for extra storage for both parent and child to carry keys, phone and toys. Do note that the storage container has a divider in the middle.
- It is a quiet ride.
- The solid steel frame enhances durability.
6. Pink Schwinn Roadster 12-Inch Trike
This pink and black tricycle looks like it was designed for girls, but it’s high quality and can be used by boys. ‘Classy’ is the word that best describes the colour and the real wood deck with the burned-in S logo sign.
The wooden deck is thin but sturdy. The Schwinn Roadster 12-inch was designed for children between two and four years. The tricycle has soft grip chrome handlebars with long tassels and a ringing bell.
What You’ll Love About This Tricycle:
- This tricycle has such a quality, heavy-duty build, especially with its full steel frame, which should last a couple of years.
- Shock-absorbing tires; very useful in providing a fun, smooth ride.
- It is also one of the few models with mudguards for each wheel. No mud is going to stop your child from enjoying some outdoor fun.
- The sculpted seat is easily adjustable with a knob and screw under the seat. An adjustable seat not only allows the tricycle to grow with the toddler but offers maximum support and comfort.
- Assembly is super easy; just four steps. The primary tool needed is an adjustable wrench.
- Many parents love the idea of having many different colours to choose from.
- Stability is assured because of a low center of gravity, making climbing on and off easy and safe.
Best Tricycle for Toddlers – Buyers guide
Nowadays, kids tend to stay indoors as opposed to playing outside. Providing your child with the best tricycle possible is a good way to encourage them to play outside.
Using a tricycle doesn’t require much space, so a lack of a yard or a park should not hinder you from buying the best tricycle for kids. Riding a tricycle aids the physical and mental growth of the kid. They will develop gross motor skills and coordination of limbs. the best tricycle for kids
What To Look For Before Buying A Top Rated Tricycle For Toddlers
Here are a few factors that you should consider before buying you purchase your next tricycle.
Is Your Child Ready To Ride A Tricycle?
To begin with, you should determine if the child understands how to pedal and steer; remember each child is different, so some might get it instantly, and some take time. Does your child have what it takes to use a tricycle?
- Ability: Children need strength to pedal and make the cycle move. Coordinating the handle while pedalling will require some basic skills from the child. Some trike models allow a parent to help the cycle.
- Height: The child’s height plays a major role in deciding whether they are ready to begin cycling. The child should be able to reach the pedals comfortably while sitting on the cycle. Children who are just learning how to cycle usually want to put their feet on the ground when they want to stop, so they should be able to do so conveniently.
- Balance: Even the best tricycles require the child’s ability to balance before it can be ridden. A child’s mental and physical development determines their ability to balance the tricycle. Only when they can balance can they pedal.
- Coordination: Toddlers are just discovering how the ability to walk and run. Their gross motor skills are still in a developing stage, and they are still learning to coordinate their arms and their legs. Till they develop these skills, they will not be able to cycle.
- Safety: Young children do not understand the concept of safety. It’s the parents’ responsibility to make kids wear safety gear and decide when they are ready to cycle. Opt for a bike that has a low center of gravity.
- Patience: To learn a new skill requires patience and focus; young children have a limited attention span, which may interfere with their learning to cycle. At this stage, kids get very frustrated when they can’t pick up a new skill, further worsening the situation and delaying their learning process.
What Material Is Best For A Tricycle?
Tricycles are usually made of steel, wood or plastic. Each of these materials has its own advantages and disadvantages.
- Plastic: These tricycles are more economical and lighter than the other two. However, the colour tends to fade when they are overexposed to the sun. A plastic tricycle can be recycled and replaced easily if broken.
- Steel: Steel tricycles are usually durable, sturdy and can last the tricycle riding duration of your toddler. On the flip side, they tend to rust when left out in the open for long periods of time. Additionally, they are more expensive than the other two types of tricycles.
- Wood: Wooden trikes are the best used indoors on smooth surfaces. They do not have a chain and are easy to maneuver and safe for beginners.
The Child’s Age
There is a wide variety of the kind of tricycles available in the market. Some tricycles are built for kids as young as 9-12 months old, while a majority of them are meant for 24 months and older. So make sure you are buying a tricycle that is age-appropriate for your kid. Look for those that can be adjusted with the child’s growth in height and weight.
Removable Push Handles
This is ideal for the beginner because, initially, you will be able to steer and control the tricycle. At the same time, the child gets used to the whole concept of cycling. Once they are old enough and independent to cycle on their own, the handle can be removed.
Some tricycles come ready to use, while others need to be assembled. Assembling a tricycle with your child can be a wonderful experience. Still, if you would like to skip this step, you should opt for an already assembled tricycle. Additionally, an assembled tricycle would save you time and effort.
Tricycles are available in various models and at varying prices. Remember your child will outgrow the tricycle sooner rather than later. It would be wise to keep to a budget and stick to it; it’s a matter of time before you start searching for two-wheeler cycles for your child.
Tricycle Design, Color And Accessories
Look for bikes that have your child’s favourite colours or characters. Any extra embellishments like streamers or a fancy bell will also make the child’s tricycle a favourite.
All the reviewed trikes are the best toddler tricycles currently. Choose a model that best suits your child’s needs and is also affordable.
It is never too much to reiterate that each child is different and unique in their own way; they all reach their milestones at different times, so do not push a toddler towards a tricycle just because you think they are ready. Once the toddler is ready for the new toy in their life, you’ll find out that your child and the tricycle will become inseparable.
The hours on end of pedalling around the house, in the park or the yard will encourage the healthy development of the mind and the body and other benefits. Riding one of the best tricycles for toddlers will boost their self-esteem and confidence and prepare them for bigger challenges in later life.
You might also be interested in: