With young children in the house, one thing that’s constantly on our mind is “How can I keep them occupied,” promptly followed by “What toy can I buy them.”
When buying toys for toddlers, we shouldn’t only think about how it will entertain them but also how it will aid their development.
Toy hammers are great for toddlers because they develop hand-eye coordination, build arm strength, and help their concentration and focus. Some hammer toy sets also assist with understanding object permanence.
Table of Contents
- 1 What to Consider Before Buying a Toy Hammer
- 2 Top 10 Best Hammer Toys for Toddlers
- 2.1 Little Tikes DiscoverSounds Hammer
- 2.2 Learning Resources New Sprouts Fix It!
- 2.3 Black+Decker Jr Tool Belt Set
- 2.4 Wooden Hammer Toy
- 2.5 Playkidz Super Durable Pound A Ball
- 2.6 Pound & Roll – Baby Activity Toy Station
- 2.7 HABA Geo Shape Tack Zap Play Set
- 2.8 Assorted Inflatable Hammers
- 2.9 Hape My Handy Workshop Kids Wooden Tool Box Set
- 2.10 US Toy Tool Set Playset
- 2.11 Frequently Asked Question
- 3 Conclusion
What to Consider Before Buying a Toy Hammer
Before buying any hammer toys for your toddler, there are a few things you want to consider to ensure you’re getting what is right for them.
When picking a hammer toy, or any other toy, we should always consider age appropriateness. In the first few months of a child’s life, they can’t do much but observe their surroundings.
The following 1-2 years of their life is when you want to introduce more engaging toys so your child can exercise their creativity. This is the perfect time to introduce them to their first hammer toy.
Is it Stimulating?
A plain hammer toy is already going to be stimulating to your child. You can get a hammer toy set if you want to make it even more stimulating.
These sets usually come with housings and plastic balls that kids can hammer to your child’s delight. The little hammer activities these sets offer are great for your kids.
We all know how rough toddlers can get with their toys. This is why it’s crucial to get durable toys that can withstand daily abuse.
Luckily, most hammer toys are very durable. When you’re getting a hammer set, however, you want to check if the other pieces in the set are durable so your child won’t end up breaking them.
Top 10 Best Hammer Toys for Toddlers
Little Tikes DiscoverSounds Hammer
- Finished with water-based, non-toxic stains and paints
- Dancing lights create a colorful display
- Bouncy tip and textured grip are just right for little hands
The Little Tikes DiscoverSounds Hammer is a great small hammer toy for your toddler. It comes with a padded rubber handle that makes it comfortable and easy for younger kids to grip.
When the hammer is switched on, it lights up and produces sounds when an object is struck using the hammer. There are 8 built-in sounds that your toddler will love.
This colorful toy is stained and painted using only water-based and non-toxic products. This helps to ensure the safety of your child.
2x AA batteries are used to power the toy, so it’s straightforward to replace when the power runs out. Even without any power, your toddler will likely enjoy hitting things with this Little Tikes DiscoverSounds Hammer.Check Current Price on Amazon
Learning Resources New Sprouts Fix It!
- Little tools for big imaginary projects.
- Encourage imaginative play with toddler-safe tools made from durable, soft plastic.
- Includes saw, hammer, screwdriver, wrench, drill, and toolbox.
- Squeeze the drill and it makes sounds.
- Ideal for ages 2+.
Learning Resources New Sprouts Fix It construction playset is a top hammer set to stimulate your child’s imagination.
It includes a hammer and comes with a wood saw, a screwdriver, an adjustable wrench, a power drill, and a toolbox where the tools can be organized and stored. All these tools are made from toddler-safe plastic that is both soft and durable.
The drill is battery operated and produces a drilling sound when the trigger is squeezed.
Your little fixer-uppers will have loads of fun with this set as they build their imagination and develop their fine motor skills.Check Current Price on Amazon
Black+Decker Jr Tool Belt Set
- Put on the tool belt and load up your tools
- Set comes with a variety of popular tools
- Tool belt and safety goggles included
- For ages 3 and up
- Included Components: Tool Belt x1, Safety Goggles x1, Hammer x1, Screwdriver x1, Wrench x2, 2-hole Wood x1, Screws x2, Nails x2
Black+Decker Jr Tool Belt Set is perfect for your junior builder. This set will encourage imaginary building, which helps develop your child’s brain.
The 12-piece set includes a hammer, two wrenches, a screwdriver, safety goggles, two pieces of wood with holes on them, 2 screws and 2 nails to fit the holes on the wood, and a carrying case that fits on your child’s belt.
Your child will love carrying this set as they go around the building and repairing things.
In addition, the toys have a realistic look and feel that your little construction worker will love.Check Current Price on Amazon
Wooden Hammer Toy
- Made of natural environmental protection materials and stained with non-toxic water-based paints, this wooden hammer toy with well-polished surface is safe for toddlers
- Specially designed for little hands and suitable for an easy grip, which is ideal as gifts for toddlers boys and girls
- Promotes hand-eye coordination, improves dexterity and exercises muscle
- Helps your baby recognize and match colors
- Made of chunky and high quality wood that can withstand years of pounding without deformation
Wood is one of the best materials to use for toddler toys. This is because it’s sturdy and durable. At the same time, it is usually safe from toxic components found in some plastic toys.
Speaking of safety, this Wooden Hammer Toy set has passed all ASTM safety standards for children’s toys. The hammer and balls are small enough for your child’s hands and large enough to prevent them from being swallowed.
It comes in a cute little house shape that your little boy or girl is sure to love. The balls fit into the holes on the house’s roof and are color-coded, so your child will develop color recognition.Check Current Price on Amazon
Playkidz Super Durable Pound A Ball
- This Multi-color pound a ball is ideal for hammering practice
- Promotes dexterity, hand eye coordination, manipulation, arm movement, cause and effect
- The design of hammer and balls are specially made for little hands and suitable for an easy grip. your child will love seeing the ball slide from layer to layer
- The smooth-sanded balls Drop down after hammered/pounding and sends the balls rolling down the ramp out the on the bottom tray.
- STIMULATING: Keep kids busy with this particular pounding ball action toy it is very helpful to grow up your infants mind.
Your kids will have a lot of fun with this toy by Playkids.
Here’s how it works – You place a ball at the top of the tower and hammer it down. When the ball goes through the hole, it runs down a series of small tunnels until it reaches the bottom, rolls out, and stops on the groove.
This will provide hours of fun for your little ones as they enjoy hammering the balls through the holes and watching them roll through the tunnel series.Check Current Price on Amazon
Pound & Roll – Baby Activity Toy Station
Let your toddler pound on the 4 colorful balls and watch where they go with this Pound & Roll Baby Activity Toy Station by Battat.
Watch them roll down the maze and spin on a star wheel or drop down the straight chute. The balls all end up in the removable base where your child can easily pick them up and start over.
You can keep the hammer and the balls inside this maze tower, so you won’t need to worry about losing anything.
The colorful hammer has an ergonomic grip that makes it very comfortable in your child’s hands.Check Current Price
HABA Geo Shape Tack Zap Play Set
- Let your child's imagination take shape with the ability to create endless geometric patterns and pictures
- Perfect for developing your child's cognitive ability, learning shapes, colors, and math through geometry. Imaginative and creative fun!
- As your child fits and arranges shapes together, they'll begin to understand the most basic principles of geometry, like how two triangles make a square or diamond.
- Let your child's imagination play as they hammer shapes into the corkboard to create pictures or patterns.
- Your design is permanent until you decide to take the figures off and start again! Build all sorts of things, like boats and trains, buildings, or larger 3-dimensional looking shapes.
This toy set includes a corkboard, a hammer, 50 wooden tiles in different shapes, and dozens of tacks.
Let your child’s imagination soar as they combine different geometric designs with wooden tiles. Your toddler isn’t going to run out of shapes to create with this toy set.
This great hammer toy develops your child’s creativity and fine motor skills.Check Current Price
Assorted Inflatable Hammers
- 12 inflatable neon hammers.
- These colorful hammers will make fun carnival prizes or festive favors at a pool party!
- In a rainbow of playful colors, These big tools will delight kids of all ages!
- Recommended for ages 3+.
Consider these assorted inflatable hammers if you want something simple for your toddler. They come in many different colors, so you can switch up the colors daily.
Your child is going to love smacking things with these inflatable hammers. You don’t need to worry about your children hurting themselves because these hammer toys are very soft.Check Current Price
Hape My Handy Workshop Kids Wooden Tool Box Set
- Equip your child for a lifetime of learning, craftsmanship, and fun!
- Watch your childs eyes light up with this new Handy Workshop from Hape featuring carrying case and tools
- Promotes kinesthetic training, role playing, and creativity
- Exclusive Hape item available only from Amazon
- Non-toxic finishes and child safe materials
The Hape, My Handy Workshop Kids Wooden Tool Box Set is the ultimate gift for your little builder.
It is a little workstation where they can play for hours and not get bored. The set includes a workstation, a hammer, a screwdriver, a wrench, a ruler, a clamp, several screws and bolts, gears, and a few other pieces of wood for inserting the screws and nails.
Playing with this toy will promote kinesthetic training, role-playing, and creativity.
All items are made from solid wood. The colors are all painted and stained with non-toxic products.Check Current Price
US Toy Tool Set Playset
The US Toy Tool Set Playset is a collection of plastic tools that includes a hammer, a pair of pliers, two screwdrivers, two wrenches, several rulers with shaped holes on them, and a few screws and nails.
This will be the perfect thing to get if your child already has a toolset, but you need to add more tools.
Take note that some of the parts are smaller, so you may want to give this only to a child 2 years or older.
Frequently Asked Question
Do I need hammer toys for my toddler?
As toddlers age 1, they become fascinated by cause and effect and want to make the most out of their newly acquired motor skills. Hammer toys are one of the best toys to help stimulate children and help them develop hand-eye coordination and fine motor skills.
You can also opt for toys like ball toys to help toddlers develop hand-eye coordination.
As we’ve mentioned above, hammer toys are one of the best toys to help your child’s development. We hope that this article has equipped you with enough knowledge about hammer toys that you can go out there and pick a top one for your toddler.